What We Look For

Academic Preparedness

  • 4 years of English
  • 3 years of mathematics (algebra II recommended for all applicants*)
  • 3–4 years of social science
  • 3–4 years of science
  • 2 years of foreign language (recommended but not required)

* Atmospheric Sciences applicants who will not have completed precalc and physics by the end of their senior year of high school should be prepared to add a fifth year to their degree track.

A Challenging High School Program

Advanced Placement (AP), college prep, and honors courses are desired but not required; however, they can strengthen your application. A score of 3 or higher on an Advanced Placement examination will be considered for college credit.

Evidence of Leadership

Participation in extracurricular activities such as community service, athletics (captain or co-captain), clubs, organizations, church groups, civic groups, etc., can strengthen your application.

Each Student is Unique

Applicants who do not meet these requirements may still be admitted on a case by case basis. Each student is unique, therefore we look carefully at all the information provided to us. There are many circumstances that can affect academic performance. If you have extraordinary circumstances, please let us know and we will take this information into consideration when we decide on your admissibility.

Proofs of Graduation

Home-schooled applicants who do not have an associate’s or bachelor’s degree must provide proof of high school graduation.

Acceptable proofs of graduation:

  • Official General Education Development (GED) scores, or
  • A Certificate of Completion if a home study program is recognized by your home state, or submit evidence of annual approval of your program as required within your home state (an official transcript of any course work taken at a local high school is also required), or
  • High School Diploma (some home schooled students receive a diploma from their area secondary school)

Home-schooled Transfer Students

Home-schooled transfer students who hold an associate’s or bachelor’s degree do not have to provide a proof of high school graduation. However, you must present the following:

  • Transcript showing degree received
  • Documentation indicating that you have met all entrance requirements
  • One letter of recommendation is required. This letter must be from someone other than a family member.



Admissions Office
Vail 305